Kylei Brown, 12, contracted a flesh-eating disease and had to have three surgeries to save her limbs and her life, according to CNN. After spending a day playing in the ocean waters in Destin, Brown woke up the next couple of days complaining of a terrible pain in her right leg. Her family took her to the ER after the pain debilitated her ability to walk. “Everyone just thought it was a Charlie horse,” said Brown of the incident.
Doctors recognized the symptoms, and after diagnosing the problem, discovered the issue was related to necrotizing fasciitis, which is caused by different kinds of bacteria. The bacteria is often found in water and enters into a person’s body through open wounds. In this case, Brown had a wound on her leg from a skateboarding accident that occurred prior to the family vacation. The CDC currently recommends that people avoid time in hot tubs and swimming pools if they have an open wound.